At the end of the 19th century, most nonconformists in Oxted travelled to Pains Hill Congregational Chapel for Sunday worship. As Oxted expanded following the arrival of the railway, they formed a new congregation in the town and opened a new church building. It stood on what is today the site of Waitrose in Station Road East. In 1902 Oxted Congregational Church was formally constituted and its first minister appointed.
By 1930 the congregation had outgrown the building in Station Road East, and a new building on a site in Bluehouse Lane was built, to seat 200. It was designed by Frederick Lawrence of Bournemouth and opened in 1935 as 'The Church of the Peace of God'.
Unusually for a non-conformist church, the building is cruciform, in Byzantine style, of brick with round-arched entrances and windows and a two-stage tower with pyramidal roof.
In 2000, the congregation embarked on a project to alter the original building to ‘multi-use’, dispensing with the extensive halls at the rear, but extending the front by the addition of a new entrance concourse, office and kitchen and a small hall adjoining at the rear, with its own entrance.
The refurbished sanctuary and the new extensions were rededicated in March 2002, and meet the needs of the numerous community users of the premises, as well as providing flexible worship and social space for the congregation. It also preserves the essential character of the Lawrence original, and remains listed (Grade 2) by Historic England. The book Hope Founded, published by the congregation in 2015, gives a detailed historical account of the church and its life; for information contact the Church Office.